Tuesday, February 18, 2014

If you're ready come and get it! na na na na

By Chantelle

Hey all! This is my first reading update for 2014, with the theme of it being: if you're ready come and get it, na na na na (yes, like the selena gomez song, whether that's a good, bad or "it's complicated" thing is up to you- for me it's the latter, I'm not a fan but it is freaking catchy!). It also sums up quite nicely how January and February have been for me so far, with so many anticipated YA releases.





LIFE IS GOOD!

Amazingly, 9 out of my 11 reads this year have been 4+ star reads for me, with swoony boys, ridiculously pretty covers and #feels every night, I'm getting positively spoilt! Not to mention very very sleep deprived and unfit from the lack of movement, since changing how I'm sitting while I'm reading in bed doesn't exactly count as exercise (...if only). In reading order:


Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
5 stars! Amazing! 2014 Panacea Candidate

As a lengthy fantasy book with little romance, this recommendation from Nara was out of my comfort zone so I was surprised when the premise, unique characters and high-stakes plot captured my attention immediately. While the world building was fantastically done, I still found I had to push through the middle, but the ending was SO EPIC, it blew my mind and earnt the spot as my first panacea candidate of 2014.



Paper Towns by John Green
5 stars! Awesome!

John Green, your passion regarding the invincibility of teenagers and how much more we're capable of always makes for such enjoyable reading. His stories all have a way of staying with you long after you've read them, I think it's the eloquent and succinct way he can put into words all our thoughts that we thought were incomprehensible. Either way, I love all his books, and he is extremely quotable!
Afterworld by Lynnette Lounsbury: 3 stars

Champion (Legend #3) by Marie Lu
5 stars! Incredible!

This book started off incredibly slow for me. There was a lot happening, but nothing that gripped me and I quickly switched to other books. However, once I went back to it and reached the second half, I couldn't put the book down! Champion has the best and most satisfying ending of any trilogy I've read. It was an emotional roller-coaster ride up to the very end and I cried SO MUCH it was embarrassing.



Red Rising by Pierce Brown
4 stars!

This book was ruthless! I loved how different it was, I've never read a book quite like it as it's got sci-fi, dystopian and fantasy elements but with a completely new spin. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because although I respected the writing, it wasn't too enjoyable, as in the plot was a bit too bleak for my taste. 
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge: 4 stars!

Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3) by Veronica Rossi
5 stars! Amazing!

Another very solid conclusion to a dystopian trilogy. Every time I read a book from this series, I'm reminded how much I love and enjoy Rossi's writing. Her sense of pacing, plot, action and romance are spot on for me, and I found myself devouring through this final installment without being disappointed.


Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3) by Tahereh Mafi
5 stars! Incredible! 2014 Panacea Candidate

I am such a fan of her poetic style of writing. I am such a fan of her characters, in particular a certain boy starting with W, and ending with 'arner', and I am such a fan of that cover *drools*. This conclusion to the series was electric, and extremely romance driven (my favourite). I understand other criticisms that it doesn't have enough plot, and in all honesty, I agree, but franky I enjoyed the romance, dialogue, and side character interactions way too much to care. THE FEELS. 


Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer
5 stars! Awesome!

I've never been a fan of multiple POV novels, but Meyer does them so well. I've found that the more she adds, the more I enjoy myself and with the addition of Cress and the always hilarious Thorne, there are many! My favourite couple is still Scarlet and Wolf, but with so many romances going on, I'm positive everybody will be shipping somebody! This was a lot lengthier than the others, but I still felt it was too short, I can't seem to get enough of these awesome retellings. 


Unhinged (Splintered #2) by A. G. Howard
2.5 stars!

A highly anticipated sequel that didn't hit the mark for me. A. G. Howard's style of writing is still captivating, haunting and unique, however the plot was too consistently chaotic for me. I found there was little development, both in the plot and in our heroine, Alyssa, so while a lot was happening, it still felt one dimensional, and not very enjoyable as a whole.




World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2) by Susan Ee
5 stars! Amazing!

This book was such an incredible sequel!! I didn't even mind that the majority of it had little romance because the rest of it was so cohesive. Everything worked for me, the pacing, the plot, the darkness, the apocalypse, even the cliffhanger. I felt like it was the perfect continuation to the series, and I fell in love with Penryn, Paige and Raffe all over again. 






The start of 2014 has been beyond my expectations so far, I really feel like the quality of YA books is at an all time high, and I really hope that this will keep continuing for the rest of the year.