Monday, August 11, 2014

The Best Movies of 2014 (so far)


Yeah, I'm one of THOSE people. (ie I collect all my movie ticket stubs)

Recently, I've been going to the movies much more often (probably because I got a membership to the local cinema, and dayum super cheap tickets), so I thought I'd do a bit of a round-up of the best movies I went and saw in cinemas this year. Let's get started!

How To Train Your Dragon 2
My god, what a masterpiece. I have to admit, I am slightly biased with this movie because HTTYD1 is my favourite movie of all time (legitimately. Not even kidding). I went and watched this one three times in cinemas, and it just got better and better! Also, the animation in 3D. INCREDIBLE. And the soundtrack, my god, the soundtrack <3



The Fault in Our Stars
Possibly the best YA book to movie adaptation I have ever seen. This film managed to capture the entire essence of the novel- the humour, the feels, the swoons, just everything. It was brilliant. Here's a review for it I did with Chantelle.


22 Jump Street
This film is just hilarious. Honestly, it might even have been better than 21 Jump Street. Or they're at least equal. Love the bromance between Jenko and Schmidt haha. Also, Mexican Wolverine, Eric's bitch, the daughter, the awkward fight scene, the "taking a bullet"- SO MUCH HILARITY.



Edge of Tomorrow
This was actually quite a surprise. On the day I went to watch this with a group of friends, we'd actually planned to go watch Maleficent, but the cinema was full. So we decided to watch this movie instead, and damn, it was fantastic. The action and the storyline- even that touch of humour- it was honestly not portrayed well in the trailer compared to in the movie itself (did anyone else think the trailer was super confusing? Because if so, don't worry, the actual movie explains things really well).



For reference, here are the movies I went and saw in cinemas in 2014 (up to 4th August). I'll add in some star ratings if you'd like to know whether I enjoyed them:
American Hustle- 3 Stars
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug- 4 Stars
Frozen- 5 Stars
12 Years a Slave- 4 Stars
Vampire Academy- 2 Stars
Divergent- 3 Stars
Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 4 Stars
The Amazing Spider-man 2- 4 Stars
Transcendence- 2 Stars
X-Men: Days of Future Past- 4 Stars
Godzilla- 3 Stars
The Edge of Tomorrow- 5 Stars
The Fault in Our Stars (twice)- 5 Stars
Maleficent- 3 Stars
22 Jump Street- 5 Stars
How to Train Your Dragon (three times lol)- 5 Stars
Lucy- 2 Stars

Holy crap I've seen a lot of movies haha. A lot of them I did get discounted/free tickets, in my defence :P

What are your favourite movies of 2014 so far?