Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Flailage: Where I Spill All My Blood of Olympus Feels

Title: The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus #5)
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: YA/MG crossover, Fantasy
Goodreads


Though the Greek and Roman crewmembers of the Argo II have made progress in their many quests, they still seem no closer to defeating the earth mother, Gaea. Her giants have risen—all of them—and they're stronger than ever. They must be stopped before the Feast of Spes, when Gaea plans to have two demigods sacrificed in Athens. She needs their blood—the blood of Olympus—in order to wake.

The demigods are having more frequent visions of a terrible battle at Camp Half-Blood. The Roman legion from Camp Jupiter, led by Octavian, is almost within striking distance. Though it is tempting to take the Athena Parthenos to Athens to use as a secret weapon, the friends know that the huge statue belongs back on Long Island, where it "might" be able to stop a war between the two camps.

The Athena Parthenos will go west; the Argo II will go east. The gods, still suffering from multiple personality disorder, are useless. How can a handful of young demigods hope to persevere against Gaea's army of powerful giants? As dangerous as it is to head to Athens, they have no other option. They have sacrificed too much already. And if Gaea wakes, it is game over.
Review by Nara


Part One: To those who have not read the PJO/HOO saga
Starting this book, I had separation anxiety from Page One.
That's how much I freaking love this series.
That's how much I didn't want this series to end.

After finishing, I may have shed a tear or two... which means it joins the list of 10 books ever- TEN BOOKS- to make me cry.
I didn't cry because the book was bad in any way.
I didn't cry because there were really sad parts in it.
I cried because it was over.

I'm just not ready to let the series go.
I'M NOT READY.

People. This series. My god, this series.
This series is fantastic.
The characters are so well developed and so likeable and so funny and so fabulous.
The plot twists are freaking incredible.
The romances are extremely shippable.
The villains are suitably evil.
If you have not yet started, WHY NOT?!
Because you should. You really should.

Seriously, if you haven't yet started this series, I don't know what to say to you.
I'm sure you've been bombarded with recs by countless lovers of the PJO series.
I'm sure you've heard a million flaily reviews.
Now that the series is over, you really have no excuse.
Start it.
Start it now.



Part Two: Where I flail over the Blood of Olympus ships
For the next section,
MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS. DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BLOOD OF OLYMPUS. You can continue reading after the next flailing gif.

OH MY GOD.
THE NICO x WILL FEELS.
THE LEO x CALYPSO FEELS.
THE PERCABETH FEELS.
DROWNING IN GODDAMNED FEELS.

Solangelo (Nico x Will)
OMFG.
I am so freaking happy Nico got his own love interest! Because, seriously, he needed one. He needed his happy ending. He deserved his happy ending. KJALKDSFHKJAHEWLF!!!

Caleo (Leo x Calypso)
OMFG ROUND TWO.
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
These two are so cute, I can't even. I CAN'T EVEN!
The only thing that disappointed me about this ship is that there wasn't a showdown where Calypso and Percy meet again with awkwardness abounds!
Uncle Rick, write me a short story with that encounter.
Me needs it.

Percabeth (Percy x Annabeth)
OMFG ROUND THREE.
WHEN YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THEM STAYING IN NEW ROME AND THEIR FUTURE TOGETHER AND ERMAHGERRRRD.
I do wish these two had featured a bit more, but then again, this wasn't really their book and it makes sense that they didn't feature as much, but omg Percabeth is the greatest ship ever so they should have featured more, but still, we did get to sort of see where their future was headed and yes. They're awesome.
(Grammar? What grammar?)



In summary:
If you haven't started this series, please do so.
If you have started this series but have still not read this book, wtf, why?
If you have read BoO, let me know what you thought.

And yes, The Blood of Olympus requires several flailage gifs. It's extremely flail worthy.

Favourite
Panacea Candidate
ALL THE FREAKING STARS

Ratings
Overall: 10/10
Plot: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
World Building: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 5/5