Saturday, July 18, 2015

Coffee Book Tag

This is a slightly ironic tag for me to be doing because I don't actually drink coffee! I just don't like the taste...I'm that person who's always like, so can I get a hot chocolate? haha
Nevertheless, I'm doing this tag because it looks like heaps of fun!

Thanks for tagging me Mishma!


Black: Name a series that's tough to get into but has hardcore fans
I'm going to sliiightly maybe cheat and say Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere is a series! All of Sanderson's books are technically one big series set in the same universe- and all the books tie in together, although they can be read as standalones/standalone series. Cosmere fans are ridiculously hardcore! I was just casually looking through the Coppermind (the Sanderson Wiki) and the forums on The 17th Shard and my god, the theories on those things! Insane. It's not particularly difficult to get into the Cosmere if you're a fantasy reader, but non-fantasy readers may feel a bit wary- his books are amazingly long. Apparently Words of Radiance was literally the maximum size that can be printed. So awesome.

Peppermint Mocha: A book that gets more popular during festive season
This is a tough one! To be honest, I don't know too many "festive" books. Hmm...how about My True Love Gave to Me? It's an anthology written by various YA authors, and pretty much all the stories in it are festive and fantastic.

Hot Chocolate: Your favourite children's book
Definitely Percy Jackson! One of my favourite series in general. If you haven't read this series yet, you most definitely need to get onto it. The protagonist is one of my favourite characters of all time, and his voice is truly hilarious. Despite being a middle grade series, I feel like it can be enjoyed by absolutely everyone.

Double Shot of Espresso: A book that kept you on the edge of your seat
Crimson Bound had a ridiculous number of twists and turns! It's a loose retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, and it's just so dark and beautifully written. I love the world building in Rosamund Hodge's novels- such fantastically developed worlds it's basically a waste to restrict them to standalone books.

Starbucks: A book you see everywhere
I suppose it's because it's just been released fairly recently, but I've been seeing P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han all over the Goodreads newsfeed! Haven't seen it so much in the blogosphere, but I haven't checked my Bloglovin feed as rigorously recently, so that might have something to do with it...been a tad busy...


That Hipster Coffee Shop: An indie author/book shoutout
Well this is awkward. I haven't read an indie book for aaaaaages. Probably the last one I read was The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, but that's since been picked up by a publisher so it probably doesn't count.

Oops! I Got Decaf: A book you expected more from
I expected to really love The Vagrant by Peter Newman, but it was just really...odd. I couldn't really get into the writing, and the time skips kind of ruined the continuity of the story. I guess I still liked it overall, but I was expecting to like it a lot more considering the rave reviews it's been getting. Still not a bad effort for a debut though, I suppose.

The Perfect Blend: A series that was bittersweet but ultimately satisfying
Okay, I'm sorry but I need to mention Brandon Sanderson again. His original Mistborn trilogy is a freaking masterpiece. SO many twists and turns in that last book, and so many heartbreaking scenes- but ultimately, my god, I'm very happy with the way it ended and with the way things ended up. Sanderson, you freaking genius.

Green Tea: A book/series that is quietly beautiful
Emmy & Oliver actually really surprised me by being much more than I expected. It's strange, while the book does have a lot of events that occur, it's not full of huge drama or anything like that. It just quietly sits in your mind with its fantastically developed friendships and wonderfully supportive families.

Earl Grey: Name your favourite classic
This book is technically a "modern classic" (I think...I don't know it's been published as a Vintage classic, so I'm going to say it counts lol), but Captain Corelli's Mandolin is pretty great. The book covers quite a lot of stories, but the main one is this romance that spans over a lifetime. It's very well written, and the characters are quite fabulous.


I'm not tagging anyone in particular, but go ahead and consider yourself tagged if you'd like to do this!